Saturday, October 17, 2009

Righteous Women

Being a stay-at-home mom, I sometimes think I am at the bottom of the food chain. What do I contribute? I bring home no money. I don't have a great title, no extra initials at the end of my name. Most people don't know I even exist. My solace is taken in that I am following what the first presidency of the Church has asked me to do. I am raising my children to the best of my ability. I am trying to establish a home of peace, love, and order (although order often comes more in the form of organized chaos around my house!). I have received an education that helps me to strengthen my family and will provide a fallback if the need arises for me to work outside the home. I am a Latter-Day wife & mother.

Gordon B. Hinckley told the sisters in the Church:
"We call upon the women of the Church to stand together in righteousness. They must begin in their own homes. They can teach it in their classes. They can voice it in their communities." (Gordon B. Hinckley, "Standing Strong and Immovable," Worldwide Leadership Training Meeting, Jan. 10, 2004, 20.)

President Dieter F. Uchtdorf gave excellent counsel to us as women in the September issue of the Ensign:
"May I invite you to rise to the great potential within you. But don't reach beyond your capacity. Don't set goals beyond your capacity to achieve. Don't feel guilty or dwell on thoughts of failure. Don't compare yourselves with others. Do the best you can, and the Lord will provide the rest. Have faith and confidence in Him, and you will see miracles happen in your life and the lives of your loved ones. The virtue of your own life will be a light to those who sit in darkness, because you are a living witness of the fulness of the gospel (see D&C 45:28)....My dear sisters, as you live your daily life with all its blessings and challenges, let me assure you that the Lord loves you. He knows you. He listens to your prayers, and He answers those prayers, wherever on this world you may be. He wants you to succeed in this life and in eternity." (Dieter F. Uchtdorf, "The Influence of Righteous Women," Ensign, September 2009, 5-9.)

Sometimes it is so hard to not overreach and to not compare ourselves to others! I fall into this trap often. I am trying to remember the Lord in all I do, and when I follow this great advice, I know I see those promised blessings.

No comments:

Post a Comment